John Cleese says “goodbye” to Twitter: “Thanks for dinner, Elon”

John Cleese

John Cleese appears to have quit X (formerly Twitter).

The comedian and Monty Python star shared a post earlier today (September 9) that suggested he was leaving the platform, while also referring to owner Elon Musk. “Good bye, Twitter,” he wrote. “And thanks for dinner, Elon.”

However, Cleese’s daughter Camilla appeared to poke fun at the suggestion, writing in response: “This won’t age well. See you in the morning!”

Cleese wouldn’t be the first celebrity to quit X in the last few years, with the likes of Stephen Fry, Whoopi Goldberg and Gigi Hadid among the famous names that left the platform in the wake of Musk’s takeover in 2022.

Earlier this year, Wednesday star Jenna Ortega revealed that she left the platform after seeing AI-generated sexually explicit images of herself as a teenager.

“I hate AI,” she told The New York Times. “I mean, here’s the thing: AI could be used for incredible things. I think I saw something the other day where they were saying that artificial intelligence was able to detect breast cancer four years before it progressed. That’s beautiful. Let’s keep it to that.

“Did I like being 14 and making a Twitter account because I was supposed to and seeing dirty edited content of me as a child? No. It’s terrifying. It’s corrupt. It’s wrong,” she added, also revealing that unwanted, “disgusting” messages contributed to her decision.

John Cleese
John Cleese at gala opening night for ‘Fawlty Towers: The Play’. CREDIT: Getty/Lia Toby

Meanwhile, earlier this year Cleese revealed that he is “surprisingly poor”, blaming his $20million (£15.3m) divorce to third wife Alyce Faye Eichelberger in 2008 as one of the reasons why he works hard into his 80s.

“Can you believe when I met her, I had a beautiful house in Holland Park and no mortgage and when I broke up with her, I had a flat in Sloane Square and a full mortgage?” he told SagaMagazine. “How they figured out she was worth $20m, I have no idea.”

Cleese added that he was past negativity, explaining: “I had to let go of the anger and what helped me was that it was so ridiculous, so absurd.”

The post John Cleese says “goodbye” to Twitter: “Thanks for dinner, Elon” appeared first on NME.



John Cleese says “goodbye” to Twitter: “Thanks for dinner, Elon”
Source: Pinas Mabuhay

Post a Comment

0 Comments